Upcoming event: 6th Basel Arbitration & Crime Conference: Updating the Toolkit
Thu 4 – Fri 5 May 2023, Basel, Switzerland, Hybrid format. More information
Mark Pieth: 30+ years of holding power to account
Mark Pieth’s reputation rests on 27 years as Professor of Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure and Criminology at the University of Basel as well as numerous prominent roles on the international stage. These include:
- Chair of the OECD Working Group on Bribery for 24 years
- Founding member of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
- Member of the UN Independent Inquiry Committee into the Iraq Oil-for-Food Programme
- Chair of the Independent Governance Committee overseeing the reform process of FIFA
- Judge, independent advisor and author of regional transparency standards for various multilateral development banks
He has authored or edited over 35 books on economic crime, organised crime and criminal law.
Among other initiatives, Mark Pieth founded the Basel Institute on Governance in 2003. Under his leadership for nearly 20 years, the Basel Institute has grown into one of the foremost international players in anti-corruption and asset recovery.
A well-known figure in Swiss and international media, Mark Pieth seeks to use his experience to inform public dialogue about the most pressing issues of economic crime, environmental protection and social justice.